Friday, September 15, 2006

Where's God?

11:00 P.M. - Phone rings - Dog's eye has been knocked out of socket, needs help
11:15 - Arrive at clinic and take in patient
12:20 A.M. - Leave clinic
12:25 - Get home
2:00 - Finally get to sleep
5:30 - Alarm goes off - wake Melanie
5:40 - Turn on coffee pot
5:43 - Eat breakfast
6:05 - Leave to feed cows
7:30 - Get home in time to flash the "I love you" sign to family as they leave for school
7:40 - Shave, shower and dress for work
8:20 - Arrive at clinic
8:35 - Begin surgeries
11:00 - See appointments
12:00 P.M. - Write up surgeries in patient's files
12:40 - Talk to roofer about replacing roof at home and clinic
1:00 - Lunch
1:30 - Leave to feed show calves their "evening" meal
2:30 - 13 minute nap
2:43 - Alarm goes off
2:44 - Rise and dress for Jessica's volleyball game
3:20 - Melanie, Faith, Hope and Granny get home from school
3:25 - Much hurrying, encouraging and prodding
3:30 - Leave for Volleyball game 100 miles away
6:45 - Game over
7:00 - Gattiland for pizza with the team
8:00 - Leave for home
10:00 - Drop Melanie Faith, Hope and Granny at home
10:20 - Pick up Jessica at the Jr. High
10:35 - Last minute homework for Jessica and Faith, crying and "encouraging"
11:00 - Bed
12:20 A.M. - Sleep


Where's God in all of this? What am I doing for our relationship? Am I just expecting Him to keep up with me? Sure, there has been a few moments of serious prayer in the car and from time to time throughout the day, but am I really giving our relationship the attention that it deserves?

Please pray that I will rearrange my schedule to reflect my priorities. Pray that I will give my relationship with God the time that it deserves. Thanks in advance! God bless,
----Greg

5 comments:

Anthony Parker said...

Thanks for making time for us today. I'd like to think that God was there, too. God is with us in the busyness, but you're right, we also need to take time just to nurture our relationship with him.

Greg Bailey said...

You're right Anthony, God is everywhere. The question is really whether or not I am giving God the place that He deserves in my life.

We enjoyed seeing you all this weekend! God bless you as you continue to seek His direction for your lives.
----Gregoire

Patty said...

I think this is one of the greatest challenges we ex-missionaries face. To those who grew up in this busy culture, the thought of spending any concentrated time with God can be hard to imagine (blanket statement, I know, but true for most Christians I know). When you've spent time overseas, though, where every minute of every day is a reminder that "I am here for God and if it wasn't for him, there is no way I would live here," I think you get used to snacking on God stuff in large quantities and often. Coming back to America and slipping into "normal" life is like going on a starvation diet.
Be sure to read Lisa Harris' blog today. She has some beautiful things to say about home that I think will ring true for you.

Kelly Vaughn said...

"In whatever you do, do it for the glory of God." Knowing you, Greg, whether it is work, kids, kids' sports, family...you are doing it in a way that brings honor to the Lord. I would suggest making the 13-minute nap at least 20. Then you'll feel better. :)

Got to greet some of the leaders for you (you did greet them didn't you?!!)...they were excited to hear that you got home safely. :)

There's some positive things going on with the leadership here and it's good to have that to think about, rather than "other" things (aka, regarding your last phone call). God is moving here and I'm thankful that you played such a part in getting it all started!

-Randy

Jenna Bunner said...

hey Greg -- did you get our email? I am just making sure. Look forward to seeing y'all.