Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ministers of Reconciliation

On the second day of our leaders meeting (Wednesday, 3-14-07) we talked about sharing God's Word with people. I divided the material into three different areas. The first topic was "Why do we need to share God's Word?". I asked the question and then interacted with the men based on their responses (asking them for Biblical support). They brought up such verses as Matt. 28:19f, John 3:16, II Peter 3:9, John 1, and II Timothy 2:2.

The next section dealt with "What do people need to know?". I prompted them to try and remember how they thought while they were still worshipping other gods. They things they mentioned included: the need for people to know that they are sinners, the account of the fall of man in Genesis, forgiveness in Jesus, God's love, showing our love, giveing our testimony, God is creator, God is all powerful, and a few other subjects. They gave scripture references for these ideas when possible and we discussed them in length.

The third area involved lesson preparation and lesson presentation. These topics were covered using a handout that I had prepared.

I wanted these men to feel confident through these lessons that they really did know quite a bit about evangelization. I am sure that they shocked themselves and felt affirmed as they presented good answers to my questions. I know too that some of the less experienced evangelists (or those who hope to be evangelists) gained some new ideas about the endeavor.

I gave another effort this afternoon at being a minister of reconciliation. I met with a brother who was disfellowshipped from one of the churches a few years ago. Many of you may remember hearing about my best friend among the Aja, Joseph. Joseph was my language teacher, fellow evangelist, Bible translation partner and someone who shared my passion for God and for the Aja people. I also talked with Joseph at length 8 months ago, when I was last here.

I visited with Joseph at length this afternoon. Although his sin was complicated, I urged him to take the first step toward reconciliation with someone that he lied to a few years ago. He has indicated that he will have a meeting with that person tomorrow at 1:30. There is still much to work out, but this could be a very welcomed first step. Please pray for Joseph's courage, for a contrite heart and that he will truly repent. Pray also for Randy and I. We lack the wisdom to know how best to deal with the situation. We want to be true to God's word and to know how to advise both Joesph and the church in this matter.

Thank you for your prayers! May God be glorified!
----Greg

No comments: