Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Through the Wardrobe

I am about to "pass through the wardrobe" once more tomorrow. Each time I pass through the wardrobe, I enter into a world that is vastly different than the one that I left behind.

I'm not sure which is the "real world". Both seem so real when I am there, but are hard to imagine when I am not there. I feel very much at home in both worlds. And yet, I long for certain aspects of my life in the "other world", no matter where I am.

Lately, I have spent most of my time in one world. My family is there. I have a couple of businesses there and activities that keep me far busier than I really care to be. I have some great friends in this world and a very large church family. God has given us meaningful ministry in this world.

The world that I enter tomorrow is also very real and very dear to me. I have a great ministry there. I have wonderful friends there that are consumed with ministry. Most of my friends in this world do not have running water or electricity. They live in mud houses and go to the farm on a daily basis to gather what they need. They often don't have enough money to take their children to the doctor when they are sick, and they struggle with severe health challenges. Despite these challenges, they have a faith that is real. They pray to God first when life's problems are too big for them. They have a vibrant worship style that encourages me greatly and they have a hunger for God's word that is refreshing.

Please pray for me as I pass through the wardrobe tomorrow. Pray that I will be able to bring the Aja Christians in Benin a message from God that will minister to them. Pray also for my family. We have never been this far apart for this long.

I'll try to post from time to time, so check back when you can. Until then, Mawu a yra mi (God bless you)!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Greg, this "passing through the wardrobe" is a great analogy. I have always had such a hard time expressing what this is like -- I've always said it's like a time warp. While you're in America, it's hard to imagine that life is continuing in W.A., and when you are in W.A., the reality is so different that it's hard to realize that life in America is going on -- they seem like so completely different worlds -- like dream worlds and yet they are both going on at the same time. Thank you for this image.

Greg Bailey said...

Thanks Sandi. It is hard to understand for those who haven't been there, but the analogy seems to fit so well.